A former U.S. Secretary of Energy from 1993 to 1997, Ms. O'Leary is now the President of Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee.
An attorney, she served as an assistant attorney general and assistant prosecutor in the State of New Jersey, and was appointed to the Federal Energy Administration under President Gerald Ford and to the Department of Energy under President Jimmy Carter.
Ms. O'Leary has also worked in the private sector as:
- A principal at the independent public accounting firm of Coopers and Lybrand
- President and general counsel of O'Leary and Associates, a company focused on international economics as related to energy issues
- Executive vice president for environmental and public affairs for the Minnesota Northern States Power Company and as president of the holding company's gas distribution subsidiary
- A member of the board of directors of AES Corporation
- President and chief operating officer for the investment banking firm Blaylock and Partners in New York from 2000 to 2002
Ms. O'Leary also serves on the boards of ITC Holdings Corp., Nashville Alliance for Public Education, Nashville Business Community for the Arts, the World Wildlife Fund; and the Arms Control Association.